26/03/2012

Source Unknown

I feel really sick.  Sorry, that's not the topic of today; I don't know what the topic of today actually is, but it's not that.  I just thought I'd state a [pretty boring and pointless, yet honest] fact, particularly if this post ends being short because of it.  Although, this post may well be very succinct anyway, on account of the fact I don't feel I have anything much to say… Figured I should write something, as it's been ages, and I don't want to get lazy, but then I don't believe in blogging for the sake of it either.  So I'll try to make this slightly interesting, for all our sakes.

I haven't achieved very much since my last post; I've spent most of my free time proof-reading my niece's BA dissertation, which has taken a fair few hours, though it was only 10,000 words.  Other than T, no one has ever asked me to proof read an essay before, and it's really hard.  I mean, I was taught the 'rules' of 'good' essay writing, as I'm sure a lot of people are, but it doesn't mean that these rules tally, or apply to all forms of academic writing.  Like, when I was at secondary school, the same one that T attended, I was never told not to write in the first person; arguably the most basic rule going, right?  I was sent off to Uni, to do a course on Journalism, ffs, with no idea how to write a decent essay. Yet, once I went into FE, after The Event, such rules were drummed into us, thank god and, I think [hope], my writing dramatically improved.  Course, just being at Uni, and having to write endless essays really does wonders for your skills, but I find it really interesting to see how differently students are taught the basics, if at all.  I mean, I was taught referencing until I could repeat the lessons in my sleep, yet the majority of my fellow university students had no idea what to do, which I believe is still the case for many new undergrads. 

I'm not saying I'm brilliantly clever, cos I'm definitely not, or that I've had the best education going, or that my way of writing is the right way, as I believe no matter how good you think you are, you can still learn from others, and improve yourself.  I'm just saying that there doesn't seem to be one umbrella system of rules for good academic writing, and it's really difficult when you move from one institution to another, or compare work from a variety of sources, to really know where you stand.  I hope the advice I gave T was helpful and, most importantly, correct, as I know how emotionally attached you can become to longer pieces of writing, and thus how difficult it can be to let others read, and potentially criticise, the work that you've put your heart and soul into.  It is a big responsibility to proof read for somebody; I don't think I really appreciated that until now, better go and thank Gloria again then!  My input was gratefully received by T though, and she did all the hard work, I merely edited, and added a few comments here and there. 

It was quite a privilege actually, that she trusted my judgement enough to let me help, but now I'm done – she's handing in today – I really should knuckle down and do some proper work for myself.  I'm supposed to be researching for my PhD, and really trying to pin down my corpus – what the hell I'm writing about – before putting together a proposal.  If I don't get the proposal bang on, then I won't stand any chance of getting a scholarship, and consequently won't be doing a PhD any time soon, so no pressure, and no half-hearted attempts.  I have to focus, grrrr – that's me being determined and driven, by the way.

Other than proof-reading, I haven't done a lot.  I've been out a bit with SB, my enabler, though that hasn't been completely smooth, as she cancelled on me last week, due to a bad back.  I don't begrudge anyone time off because of illness, and everyone deserves a holiday too, naturally, but SB has cancelled on me a fair few times since becoming my enabler, and it is more than a little concerning.  Before VW left, she promised to show SB the ropes, and give her a few practice runs on how to get me in and out the car safely and securely, yet SB postponed this arrangement a good four or five times before we got together.  It was in the back of my mind then, whether SB was taking this new role seriously as, although she's a carer anyway, maybe this job wouldn't be as important as her 'main' career.  I let it pass as, admittedly, I was desperate to make sure I wasn't left without an enabler, and the fact that I'd been 'allowed' two more hours a week, plus the increased flexibility meant that this was really too good an opportunity to miss.  Besides, when SB did begin her 'training' she was very competent and confident, and I already knew and got on well with her, so it made sense to carry on, rather than beginning the seemingly endless task of tracking down somebody else, who probably wouldn't be as flexible – because they wouldn't live right round the corner, or be free from 11 every weekday morning etc.  It seemed ideal to hire SB and, without sounding totally hard done by, it's not often that things seem to just work out like that for me; they generally take months, maybe even years of planning, and it's a stressful, exhausting nightmare.  So when things look doable, I try and go for them then and there, before the offer ends, so to speak.

It has worked out well, to some extent.  When we have been out, it's been really relaxed; we've organised everything between ourselves, and have had no real worries about when I must get home again; long as it fits in with SB's life, of course.  But, like I say, she has cancelled on me, a fair few times, if you include the initial false starts I mentioned earlier.  It does annoy me, though the times that she has let me down have never been that critical, as I've not had any real plans.  I'm waiting for that one.  I just assumed she was reliable – is anyone though, really? – and would take this job as seriously as her role as a carer.  Maybe she does really value this job, and I've asked her if she's still up for it, which she says she is, so perhaps it's just teething problems, or genuinely bad luck. 

I am gonna give her the benefit of the doubt, and see what happens; if she lets me down again, particularly if I've made important plans, then I'll definitely have to think differently.  The Wife'll probably kill me, because she told me to complain about SB's absences, but I really don't wanna lose this service.  It is just a service; I'm not attached to SB, like I was VW, so it's not the fact of losing her as a person that's the problem.  It's the fact that my family and I receive very little support as it is, which is entirely our own fault because we've always 'managed' on our own, without asking for help until recently.  Now, while I have a small amount of home care, almost as a supplement to mother – I'd genuinely accept more help, but my mother feels that, while she's here, and relatively able she should do the majority – I still have to kick and scream to get anything else.  My OT is worse than useless, and I've been waiting nearly three years for her to set me up with a hoist so that my carers are able to move me without my mother's assistance, only then can I really begin to think about 24 hour care.  It isn't fair that it should be this damn hard, and I'm getting upset now, so should probably take that as my cue to go, cos I refuse to feel sorry for myself.  That won't get me anywhere, whereas complaining and screaming blue murder might, so I'm going try the latter tactic, methinks.  Though, why should I have to??  Argh, going.

BW xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, I welcome both positive and negative feedback. However, due to some recent weirdness, I now moderate all comments, so any abusive, threatening, or offensive comments will not be shown.